Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Photography

Today we did Photograms. An interesting take. Today's lesson really made me realised how much I'm missing out in photography. Being stuck to my DSLR, there's more to photography than meets the eye. It's an amazing piece of art. It's not just about fashion photography or portrait or composition or whatsoever. But today, when we did the process, it's not easy. We have to consider a lot of things at the same time, having a designer's concept into your photography. It's not just photography we dealt with today. It was design AND photography.

I'll upload some of my work later though it can improved. But to be honest, I am in love with photography so much. I want to learn more and do more. But there's so little time. Peter is such an amazing guy, you don't know how much it means to have him as a lecturer. He's laid back, cool but he does wonders to everything.

Aside from the awesome photography equipments, what's more important is giving a whole communication reason to your photos.

I know I talk alot about Weegee but he's one to look at. Another is Brassai and Henri Cartier Bresson. They didn't just take photos.



Weegee didn't. He didn't just take photos. He gave LIFE to them. He gave them a reason to live, a reason to be in that picture, and it's real alot. He took pictures of crime scenes, because he loves taking pictures at night. Cause the best bad things happens at night as he said. He has his view on politics and he sometimes mocks the rich through his pictures. But he has reasons. His view on life, reflects through photography. He takes pictures of murder, crime scenes, so on so forth.


Why called him Weegee? Funny thing is, because if there's a murder, he's always to first to know and the first to be there to take the photos long before the police arrives.


Yes, the back of his car where he processes them after he takes the photos. 

I quote this from Arthur Fellig's website.

And although Weegee had systematized the taking of a photograph, he never became emotionally detached. When he photographed a woman and daughter crying helplessly as the woman's other child and a young baby were burning to death inside a house, Weegee said of the photograph he took: "I cried when I took this picture." And the public cried too when they saw his photos. That was he what he wanted, to involve his audience, to move them to empathy or reduce them to tears, and that is why he is still today one of the best known of all the famous black and white photographers and why he was a great artist.
I did saw the picture. And even after all the years, this photo was taken. I cried.

The message sent through that picture, felt real. Almost too real. As if I was seeing them, crying. It's not easy taking a photo like that. If you're the photographer, you wouldn't have the heart too. You wouldn't bear to take a picture of them but he did.  And he cried too. And the audience cried. I can't show you a photo of it cause it can't be found on the web. I'll prolly scan it. 

I quote this from Weegee himself. His real name is Arthur Fellig.

He didn't just give a photo, he gave life to the photo. He made it possible, he made it too real enough to be part of the photo. Maybe now, you might find this ridiculous cause the high end definition of photography ruined the true meaning of photography. But the meaning in it will never fade. I'll always cherish film cameras not because they have nice effects whatsoever, but the process of it is enjoyable. I love processing something and when I see the results, its satisfying. 

You own a DSLR. It doesn't make you a photographer. Everyone can take pictures to be honest. Weegee did not have formal training and he was able to produce films and take amazing pictures. He was ordinary like us. But the thing about him? He has passion for photography and he shares the joy with other people. 

"When you find yourself beginning to feel a bond between yourself and the people you photograph, when you laugh and cry with their laughter and tears, you will know you are on the right track." - Arthur Fellig

Weegee. A man never forgotten in time.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment